Dear Parents and Carers
Year 6 Transition
We are delighted that you have chosen Blackwood Comprehensive School as your secondary school and I look forward to getting to know you and your child during their time with us.
Our Head of Key Stage 3, Mrs Davies, Year 7 Progress Managers, Mrs Colley and Mr Williams, and ALNCo, Mrs Rudman, have been working very closely with our primary schools to ensure that your child’s move to us is as smooth and successful as possible. We have two transition days planned for the 10th and 11th July and I hope this helps to alleviate any anxieties that they may have about joining us in September. We have two INSET days at the start of term, on Friday 1st and Monday 4th September, meaning that our new Year 7 pupils will join us on Tuesday 5th September. They will need to arrive in school at 8:30am.
If you have any queries or questions, we will be holding a meeting for parents and carers at 3:00pm on 11th July, at the end of the second transition day. Additionally, we have a transition folder on our website, http://www.blackwood.caerphilly.sch.uk/ under ‘About Us’, which contains lots of useful information about our school. One of the biggest queries we have is around uniform and so it will be useful to ensure you know what our policy is. It consists of:
- Grey trousers, grey knee length pleated skirt or grey knee length tailored shorts.
- Compulsory black blazer with school badge on left hand side
- White blouse/shirt
- Optional V-neck black school jumper with school badge
- Plain black or navy coat
- No denim, leather, or leather look jackets
- No hoodies
- Flat black leather or leather look shoes
- Leather or leather look Converse/Airforce style shoes are acceptable but not trainers or boots.
- Black, grey or white socks or black tights
- School clip on tie
- No bright or unnatural hair colours, tramlines or facial piercings. Pupils can wear one pair of stud earrings.
Items of uniform are available in-store or online at Asda, Sainsbury’s, Next, Matalan or M&S amongst others. Ties can be purchased from reception.
Pupils will also need to have a PE kit and appropriate footwear for their PE lessons. This consists of:
- Plain black or school-badged crew neck T-shirt
- Blackwood Comprehensive School reversible rugby shirt, for those who access boys’ PE
- Black shorts, leggings, joggers or skorts
- Black rugby/football style long socks, for those who access boys’ PE
- White socks
- Non-marking trainers, for use inside and out
- Plain black sweatshirt (recommended)
- Black sports-type waterproof jacket (recommended)
- 4G boots with plastic moulded studs (see picture below)
Again, if any families need support with purchasing any PE equipment, then please let us know.
We are looking forward to seeing our new Year 7 pupils on 5th September. Until then, I hope they all have an enjoyable end to term in their primary schools and a lovely summer break.